Spring St Buildings Coming Down
Greenhouse ()Built in ×sixteen ft, with a small sixteen×30 potting shed at one end. Several greenhouses would be connected in the coming decade; an Insectary was added in 1916.
Danger of its falling caused school officers to have the Old Stack razed on August ninth, 1935. Thompson Hall Built in Thompson Hall is the oldest extant constructing on campus, designed by famous Seattle architect, James Stephen and his Chicago trained partner, Timotheus Josenhans. Their agency was chosen over 16 other entries in an architectural competitors held by the Board of Regents. Thompson Hall was constructed for lower than $50,000 using local purple brick created from clay deposits in back of what’s now Stevens Hall. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and renamed Albert W. Thompson Hall on April fifteenth, 1972 . Thompson served as Dean of Humanities in the College of Sciences and Arts.
Old Stack / Totem PoleBuilt in 1895 The 80 foot excessive Old Stack was originally the chimney for the Heat, Light and Power Plant which was constructed on the foot of College hill. When the plant was converted to the Mining Building in 1899, the Stack, or Totem Pole, was annexed by the scholars who painted their class numerals on it.
He developed several All-Americans, took his 1930 team to the Rose Bowl and was instrumental in establishing the East-West Shrine Football Game. Wilson Hall is the dual of Carpenter Hall and like that building was unfinished for several years. … Read More