Stout leased the property’s bake-house to baker, Andrew Inderweek. 1787The Departments of the Treasury and War also moved in and used the constructing till 1788. 1776In May and June, the New York Provincial Congress met on the Tavern. After the city was occupied by the British, Fraunces fled to New Jersey, but was later captured and forced to return to New York City to cook for British generals.
Two weeks after the lease was signed, Sam Fraunces, now a resident of New Jersey, sold the Tavern to Brooklyn butcher, George Powers. Two years later, both the War Department and the Treasury had leased rooms within the building. On November 25, 1783, British troops left New York City – the last American metropolis to be occupied. George Washington led his Continental Army in a parade from Bull’s Head Tavern in the Bowery to Cape’s Tavern on Broadway and Wall Street. New York Governor George Clinton’s Evacuation Day celebration was held at Fraunces Tavern.
1798Ballerina Anna Gardie, who was living along with her husband in the boarding home, was murdered. Her husband was additionally discovered dead of stab wounds; the coroner dominated it a homicide/suicide. Under Romaine’s possession widow, Orcet ran a boarding home. 1793Stout was replaced by Charles Bernardi, who ran the boarding house at fifty four Pearl Street and operated a dry-good store. Under Delafield the constructing was operated by tenant, Benjamin Stout.
1719Etienne De Lancey constructed the three-story building at 54 Pearl Street as a family residence. This constructing is now the main constructing of Fraunces Tavern Museum. To prevent the homeowners from destroying the constructing, the City of New York exercised its rights of eminent area and designated it as a park in 1903.
The following year the house owners agreed to sell the property to the Sons of the Revolution℠ within the State of New York, Inc . The City rescinded its park designation and the SRNY took title in July. As ownership continued to change, the constructing’s historical past was by no means forgotten. fifty four Pearl Street continued to be a gathering place for Patriots. On July four, 1804 underneath the administration of David Ross, the Society of Cincinnati held a gathering at 54 Pearl Street.
1775The British warship HMS Asia bombarded the city on August 24; an 18-pound cannonball went through the roof of Fraunces Tavern. 1759The constructing was occupied by De Lancey, Robinson & Company, a service provider firm, which used it as office and warehousing area.
Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton attended this assembly, which was held per week earlier than their well-known duel. Fraunces continued working the Tavern as publish-revolution life settled down. In early 1785, Fraunces agreed to lease the Tavern to the Continental Congress to be used as office area for the Department of Foreign Affairs.