The Americans gave a dinner for their British counterparts on the Tavern. On August 23, 1775, John Lamb and his artillery company attempted to steal a dozen cannons from the Battery and exchanged fireplace with the HMS Asia. The battleship bombarded town from midnight till three o’clock within the morning. One of the 18-pound cannon balls from the HMS Asia crashed through the roof of Fraunces Tavern. Fraunces Tavern was a place where travelers and locals would change the latest information and ideas. Entertainment, such as musicians, might be found on the Tavern. The New York Chamber of Commerce was based on the Tavern in 1768.
During the week of Evacuation Day, George Washington was in the City, and he made use of the Tavern by dining in and ordering take-out. By 1783, Fraunces Tavern resumed regular operations and it was reported that “Continental Gentlemen” as soon as once more assembled there. The American Commissioners made the house their headquarters whereas negotiations with the British concerning their evacuation from the City were underway. After several people had been apprehended with counterfeit cash, a trial was held between July and August of 1783 at the Tavern, conducted by the commissioners.
Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton attended this meeting, which was held every week earlier than their well-known duel. Fraunces continued running the Tavern as submit-revolution life settled down. In early 1785, Fraunces agreed to lease the Tavern to the Continental Congress for use as office house for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
Two weeks after the lease was signed, Sam Fraunces, now a resident of New Jersey, offered the Tavern to Brooklyn butcher, George Powers. Two years later, both the War Department and the Treasury had leased rooms in the constructing. On November 25, 1783, British troops left New York City – the last American metropolis to be occupied. George Washington led his Continental Army in a parade from Bull’s Head Tavern within the Bowery to Cape’s Tavern on Broadway and Wall Street. New York Governor George Clinton’s Evacuation Day celebration was held at Fraunces Tavern.
From 1740 to 1759, the constructing was more than likely used for mercantile and/or residential use, as was fitting for the neighborhood on the time. In 1759, the agency De Lancey, Robinson, & Co. purchased the building. The firm, composed of Stephen De Lancey’s son Oliver, Beverley Robinson, and James Parker, dealt in imported European, West Indian, and East Indian items, such as rum, sugar, and textiles. In 1761, the Company provided rooms for hire however had been forced to sell in 1762.